Popcorn, how do I love thee….let me count the kernels!
It’s time I let my secret pop out of the bag: I love popcorn, and I eat it often! Surprised? Shocked?! If you know me personally, you’re probably not. I know that for some healthy eaters, corn is permanently on the ‘Naughty’ list. I am a huge fan of lists, but not such a huge fan of extreme dietary limitations. I don’t believe that maintaining your health and your weight should mean that you have to say goodbye to all of your favorite foods forever. I think you can have your popcorn, and your cake too…but you should consider enjoying them on separate occasions.
For me, maintaining a healthy diet means planning to allow myself to have some moments of controlled indulgence. Whenever possible, I try to come up a healthier makeover of my favorite recipes. The goal is to maintain the satisfaction of the original recipe. The healthier spin means that I can eat more of my favorite foods more often without the guilt complex. This is how I became a health-conscious popcorn fiend. Take this recipe for a spin and let me know what you think.
2 pinches of salt (¼ to ½ tsp)
2 TBSP Unsalted Butter
¾ cup popping corn (Tiny But Mighty Brand Recommended)
*See below for a list of my favorite flavored popcorn seasonings
You will also need:
Airpop Popcorn Maker (Here is the Sunbeam model we use)
Small microwave-safe bowl
Large Bowl or other Popcorn Container (we use this Rubbermaid Container)
Friends to enjoy your Popcorn with!
- Line up your popcorn maker with your bowl or large container and begin popping the first ¼ cup of popcorn.
- As you begin popping the 2nd ¼ cup of popcorn, melt the butter for 15 to 30 seconds in the microwave using your microwave safe bowl and some care. Be careful here, you may be a firework, but you certainly don’t want your butter to share this aspiration.
- As the 2nd ¼ cup of popcorn completes its popping, very carefully drizzle the butter over the kernals and use the bowl as a scoop to help distribute the butter evenly throughout the popped goodness.
- While popping the 3rd ¼ cup of popcorn, continue to use the bowl to ‘stir’ the popcorn for even butter coverage.
- Immediately add salt and stir once again (or in the case of a container with a lid…lid it, and shake it up!
Savor the Flavor!
If you love flavored popcorn, try adding 2 TBSP of one of my favorite seasonings listed below. The only one of these that I add salt to is the Vinegar Powder.
From the Savory Spice Shop:
White Balsamic Vinegar Powder -My Favorite! (Think Salt and Vinegar Chips)
Great Value Organic Mango Habanero Seasoning (Made for Wal-Mart)